Saturday, December 6, 2014

Vegan High Protein Quinoa Lentil Bowl

Wow!  I just invented this dish tonight and it's so amazing!!!  The secret ingredient is peanut butter (or any nut butter).  I mean, what doesn't taste good with peanut butter!?!??!  If you are what you eat, then I am 85% peanut butter because, as a child, I ate peanut butter sandwiches three meals a day, everyday, from about age six to age seventeen.....and can you believe it?  I'm still alive - and well!

I recently visited Hawaii and found the most amazing peanut butter I've ever had in my life.  It's called North Shore Goodies Coconut Peanut Butter.  I literally purchased over $100 worth of peanut butter while I was there.  I bought so much that my bag was overweight when I went to check in for my flight.  There was no way I was leaving that peanut butter behind so I paid the extra $35 and brought it back with me. 

VEGAN HIGH PROTEIN QUINOA LENTIL BOWL

Ingredients:
1/2 cup raw sesame oil
1/2 cup soaked almonds or cashews
3 tbsp. gluten free tamari
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 cup unsweetened peanut butter (or almond butter)

1 cup uncooked green lentils, rinsed
1 3/4 cup vegetable broth (or water)

1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cups spinach or chard
Salt to taste


Instructions:
In a blender or food processor mix first five ingredients (sesame oil, nuts, tamari, maple syrup, and nut butter).  Blend until smooth and set aside.

In a medium saucepan bring lentils and broth to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.

In a separate saucepan bring quinoa and water to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile heat olive oil in a pan.  Saute onions, garlic and peppers until tender.  Add spinach or chard and cook until wilted.

In a ceramic dish or large bowl combine all ingredients and mix together well.  Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment